Thursday, August 8, 2013

the audacity of hope by patrick l. bertlein







I live in a world of dreams
where life fades into the horizon
a setting sun of failures and accomplishments
and never quite enough gets done
so I sit here in astonishment
of all that has gone wrong

If only my thoughts that hasten
would simply be complacent
and wander off to other worlds
to bother other humans
I sit childishly swatting at mosquitoes
and once again losing the words

It seems that at times is an inspiration
a flicker of time that is lost like love
on hot days when sleep is a dream
and the heart is overcome with frustration
if only I could hold onto the moment
and stretch it out to the corners of the earth
make it a blanket for the world to find warmth
my tears cleansing your holy feet


Too much I want from this life
from this world, from my friends
and all my loved ones
the preciousness of existence
 is a reflection of this
knowing how special these seconds we have
and how soon they will be gone

Oh how can I ignore the hands of time?
as the sand slowly drips to the ground
like the faucet I could not fix


The fragility of these thoughts
and how they overcome my senses
sends me into a spiral
that far surpasses all defenses
and all the while I stand witness
to life and the worlds trespasses



Violated my voice will be victorious
and explore this silence
or surely fall prey to the worse madness
that of a world not perceived by vision
nor spoken of by tongue
the blackest imaginable sun


As the flickering flame lashes
like the snake seeking its scent
to recognize where it is at
and what surrounds the body
all hope is dried kindle
and as this day will surely dwindle
I recognize the dusks twinkle
and reside amongst a pale sky
awaiting the terror of the mind
the only thing sure to come
taunting my present self
with what shall surely become

Fatigue slowly drains my body
and soon I will be interrupted
with the chitter chatter of others
not knowing that I have to listen
so the squirrel will be quiet
a subconscious has its message
and I am only hear to listen

This is worse than a puppet
as the scissors are in my fingers
perhaps upon the glorious dawn
I shall hear the sound of the trumpet
and tomorrow find the old hollow
in which life once existed
until than I can not be triumphant
for this day has once again been conquered
by the possibilities dwindling
as they greet the nights twinkling
watching and laughing eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment